Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Non-Fiction Stephen King

This past year I've had the joy of reading two non-fiction books. One was writting by Stephen King, one was about his works.


Photobucket

The Complete Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of Stephen King by Stanley Wiater

I read this book in October 2008, while on Jury Duty, great place to read something like this, I would have been bored out of my mind otherwise.

I learned a lot from this book. I learned the inside workings of his mind and why he writes what he does. This book allowed my interest in his other works to grow. I haven't read or seen many of his works, but after reading this guide, I wanted to read and see everything, mainly to see what they were talking about.

As far as I can tell, this guide lists most of his work up until publication, it included the "Dark Tower Series", so it was a revised edition.

One book that is now on my 'to read' list that wasn't on there before is "The Stand". I think this is a nice companion to people who want to get more into the world of Stephen King.


Photobucket

Secret Windows: Essays and Fiction on the Craft of Writing by Stephen King

This one I just finished. I got it from an Amazon seller as you cannot buy it anywhere. It was a Book Club selection a few years back. I scored.

This rare collection of Essays and Fiction by Stephen King is a must have for any King fan. The majority of this book consists of essays with some interviews and two fiction stories. If you enjoyed "On Writing", you will find King's wit and humor in this book just as appealing. Although King is primarily a horror writer, this book can be read by anyone interested in writing in any genre, the nucleus is there in all he says.

Out of the fiction in ths book, "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet", which is labeled as a novella was the fiction piece I enjoyed the most. The metaphor of the fexible bullet and the way the story was crafted was true 'King'.

* * *

One day in the near future, I will review the Stephen King novels I have read. I've only read a few at this point.

No comments: