Friday, April 27, 2012

(X) Xenophobia in Literature

X another impossible letter.  I am doing a take of what I did last year.  Last year I did Xenophobia in Film.  This year I tackle books.

One book that deals with Xenophobia is "New York: A Novel" by Edward Rutherfurd.  This book spans the birth of New York (17th century) until 2009.  There is a lot of subtle Xenophobia in this book.  The sufferes were the immigrants (Irish and Italian).  Another book that deals with Italian immagrants is "Elizabeth Street" by Laurie Fabiano.  I started reading "The Immigrants" by Howard Fast.  From what I was able to tell, this book deals with all types of Immigrants during the early part of the 20th century.


xenophobia (plural xenophobias)
  1. A fear of strangers or foreigners.
  2. A strong antipathy or aversion to strangers or foreigners.

Xenophobia  is still alive and well. Most people I know have the fear of people from the Middle East. It is understandable but unfair.  It is unfair to group a peoples because of what a few do or have done.    

One would think living in the United States and a place like New York City would jade a person of foreigners because we are the Melting Pot.  Fear is a hard thing to overcome.

No comments: