Monday, April 2, 2012

(B) Buried in the Bronx


I live in Bronx, New York.  I've lived here all of my life.  People don't know much about the Bronx other than what they see on the theater screen.  However, The Bronx has a lot to offer.  I am also a lover of cemeteries, I know, it's a strange fascination.  There are a lot of famous people buried in The Bronx.  Here are a few:

Frankie Lymon
September 30, 1942 – February 27, 1968
Known for being the lead singer of the group "The Teenagers".
Lymon, a Baptist, is buried in Saint Raymond's Roman Catholic Cemetery in The Bronx.
I found it interesting that I was not the only one who placed a stone on his grave.  There were quite a few when I got there.


Billie Holiday
April 7, 1915 - July 17, 1959
Billy Holiday is buried in Saint Raymond's Roman Catholic Cemetery in The Bronx.


Diana Barrymore
March 3, 1921 - January 25, 1960
Born Diana Blanche Barrymore Blythe, she was the daughter of actor John Barrymore and his second wife, poet Blanche Oelrichs.  She is buried next to her mother at Woodlawn Cemetery in The Bronx.

*Only partial headstone shot taken as it is very difficult to take picture at Woodlawn Cemetery without permission.




Joseph Pulitzer
April 10 1847 - October 29, 1911
Born Pulitzer József.  best known for posthumously establishing the Pulitzer Prizes.  He is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in The Bronx.


Miles Davis
May 26, 1926 - September 28, 1991
American jazz musician, trumpeter, bandleader, and composer.  He is buried at Woodlwan Cemetery in The Bronx.







5 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My mother had a thing for cemeteries. And we certainly have a lot of them here in the South.

Pam Harris said...

What an interesting post! I love the movie based on Frankie Lymon--Why Do Fools Fall In Love. :)

J.L. Campbell said...

What I'd like to know is why people place stones on the graves. You sure do have a lot of interesting people buried in the Bronx.

Wall-to-wall books said...

Wow really great post Liz!
I found the whole thing very interesting.
I love Miles Davis!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I love cemeteries, especially one with old school headstones... not the new flat ones.