Saturday, April 23, 2011

(T) Today Temple Turns 83

Shirley Jane Temple-Black turns 83 today.


If someone where to ask me who my favorite child star of all time was, I would have to say Shirley Temple. I want to go through the TV and grab her and hug her until her head pops off. She was such a cutie, her chubby legs and her chubby face. My favorite Temple movie is Heidi. However, I really do like them all.

As an older actress, my favorite of her films is Since You Went Away (1944), she was 16.  She grew into a beautiful young woman, however, she quit acting in film in 1950 but continued to act on TV and entertain until 1965.
In 1972 she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. She was the first prominent woman to discuss this disease openly.

She was appointed Representative to the 24th General Assembly of the United Nations by President Richard M. Nixon.

She was appointed United States Ambassador to Ghana by President Gerald R. Ford.

She was appointed first female Chief of Protocol of the United States and was in charge of arrangements for President Jimmy Carter's inauguration and inaugural ball.

She was appointed by President George H. W. Bush as United States Ambassador to Czechoslovakia.

No comments: