Tuesday, April 12, 2011

(J) Juvenal

Satura tota nostra est. Satire is all ours.
Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis, known in English as Juvenal, was a Roman poet active in the late 1st and early 2nd century AD, author of the Satires. (I can see your eyes drooping...relax I'm not going there).
I never heard of this man! I never heard this name until I watched a movie entitled Touch.
The main characters name was Juvenal (no last name). He is a modern day healer, a stigmatist who was once a Franciscan Monk. Played by Skeet Ulrich he has the ability to heal the sick. He's kept this a secret, but now his secret is leaking out, thanks to some shady and psychopathic characters.
I would not have normally be interested in this type of movie, but Chris Walken was in it and I see everything he does, and of course looking at Ulrich isn't exactly painful!
I'm not sure how I feel about this movie, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. It was predictable and I was unfulfilled at the end. Walken does a fine acting job, Skeet is just a cutie pie, Fonda is slightly annoying and Tom Arnold is the most hysterical I've seen him in a while.
Oh and what does this have to do with the orignal Juvenal? Well, this movie is a Satire. I'm sure he would have approved.

No comments: