Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is a documentary film by Joe Cross.  Joe was an overweight 40+ year old man with a rare auto-immune disease.  He decided to go on a juice fast for 60 days.  Now, this is not unheard of, but the way he did it was unique.  Joe is from Australia.  He spent the first half of his trip (30 days) in New York City, a place where there is a fast food place (or two or ten) on every street corner. He spent the 2nd half of his trip driving cross country.  He packed his blender in his trunk and bought his veggies and fruit on the go.

Along the way Joe meets Phil in Arizona.  Phil is also overweight and surprisingly suffers from the same rare auto-immune disease that Joe suffers from.  Sometimes fortune is set up.  Joe offers to help Joe and gives him his number in Australia.

Phil eventually can't take it anymore and calls Joe.  Joe comes back to the states and helps his new friend jump start his program.

The first half of the documentary deals with Joe and his journey, the second half deals with Phil and his journey.  This is a very inspiring story.  Even if you're not in to juicing, fasting or dieting it will give you cause to smile.

2 comments:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Sounds interesting! I don't know if I could do it. I've been on the Doctors Diet Program now for two months. I've lost 26 lbs. I have to limit my daily carbs to between 20-50 per day and eat plenty of protein. I haven't had any "sweets" for TWO months! It has been kind of hard, but not as hard as I thought. I still have about 150 lbs to lose; 170 if I want to get to my goal weight, but I'll get it off. I feel like I'm on my way now!

Unknown said...

congratulations on the weight loss. Keep going, you'll be there in no time!!