Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Update - 2010 Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge


Photobucket

1. Dragonfly in Amber - Diane Gabaldon
2. Nigger: An Autobiography - Dick Gregory
3. Doubt: A Parable - John Patrick Shanley
4. Tennessee Williams Notebooks - T. Williams
5. Roses - Leila Meacham
6. Push - Sapphire
7. The Walk - Richard Paul Evans
8. When The Soul Mends - Cindy Woodsmall
9. Rumble Fish - S.E. Hinton
10. The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
11. Know it All - A.J. Jacobs
12. I Am Nujood: Age 10 and Divorced - Nujood Ali
13. Island Beneath the Sea - Isable Allende
14. Stoner - John Williams
15. Bronx Accent - Lloyd Ultan
16. Why is God Laughing? - Deepak Chopra
17. Elizabeth Street - Laurie Fabiano
18. Promise Me - Richard Paul Evans

I believe my goal was 50 books from the library this year. Well, not sure if that will happen, but I will probably get to 25 books from the library. I had originally aimed high because I planned to read 100 books for the year, and 50 from the library didn't seem like it would be hard to do. However, 32 more library books in 2.5 months, nah. I have read/listened to a total of 47 books so far this year, so I will reach 50 books for the year, I will aim for 70 books by Dec. 31.

I would say I'd do better next year, however, I am planning to read books like "War & Peace", so I think next year I'll stay with 50 books, but a lot of them will be quality books.

Numbers don't matter much to me, as long as I keep reading. This year was a big year for audio books for me. I don't really know why, I suppose we all get into our moods. I just felt like hearing the soothing sounds of narration while lying in bed at night. I don't drive anymore, so I don't have a chance to listen that way. My home reading was suffering once I lost my job in July, because, although one would think I have nothing but time to read, I had time to do things I had neglected all along such as painting, practicing guitar, beading and other crafts, as well as cleaning.

I am currently working on a temporary assignment, I don't know how long, but I will be reading on the subway to and from, so I think I'll get some book reading in. I will be going to the library at lunch time too, so I'll see if I can find something fluffy to read.

My current reads/listens.


The Winds of Autumn by Jannette Oke (audio). This is the 2nd part of a 4 part series (Seasons of the Heart). The series started with Once Upon a Summer, which I loved so much (and I loved the narrator), so I got the 2nd part in audio with the same narrator. There is a male narrator for this book and a female narrator by another company. I preferred the male narrator because he sounded more down to earth. It is about a boy named Josh (now 15) who is coming of age in middle-America 1930. It is Christian fiction, as it is written by Janette Oke, an easy listen (5+ hours) and probably an easy read. I will follow with the last two books in the series: Winter is Not Forever and Spring's Gentile Promise.




The Neville Reader by Neville Goddard, is a collection of true stories about how "thoughts are things". Neville Goddard was a 20th century New Thought author. He was of the same mindset as other authors who believed in "The Law of Attraction". The stories in this book highlight how real people used their thoughts to attract what they wanted. Call it "The Law of Attraction", "Manifesting", whatever. I myself have been into this stuff for over 15 years, but this is the first time I ever read anything by Goddard, hopefully I will enjoy.

No comments: