Thursday, October 18, 2012

Various


Nanowrimo
November is Nanowrimo.  I haven’t completed a Nano in about 3 years.  I had done it for many years before that and finished, but I don’t know what happened.  This year I’m going to finish.  I will post updates about that here.
Right now I’m in research mode.  I’m pretty sure I’m going to write a fictional account of my uncle’s death.  It is not going to be about my uncle’s death per se, rather the aftermath.  I wasn’t born when he died (1962), but I obtained details from my mother about the death.
One of the true aftermath’s of his death was me (not going in the novel). If he didn’t die, my mom would have married him instead of his brother, I wouldn’t be here as me, I’d be someone else LOL!
Reading
As I mentioned in my last post, I will be reading shorter books until the end of the year.  I just finished up “The Omen” by David Seltzer.  I know that the movie(s) were graphic, the newer one was more graphic than the original, but I feel that this book is even more graphic. It could be my imagination. Maybe it has something to do with reading it.  My next book is “Psycho” by Richard Block.  I have a lot of things to read, but I’m trying not to over load myself.  I think some books are coming in from the Library, so not sure what is up next.
Movies (TV and Theater)
I saw “Sinister”.  It is a good horror film, but I wasn’t as scared as some other movies I’ve seen in the past.  “Insidious” and “Possession” were scarier for me.  I was talking with Michelle / The True Book Addict, about this.  I was saying I think horror films are subjective.  Whatever we are most afraid of will scare us most on the screen, even if the fears are deep routed.  If my daughter saw a spider in any movie she’d run out of the theater.  The subject matter in “Insidious” and “Possession” are some ‘issues’ that I have.  “Sinister” did bring up those ‘issues’, so although I could see how it could scare some, it doesn’t scare me.
Who saw “Steel Magnolias” on Lifetime? I wasn’t sure why it was remade for the small screen, but it has been years since I’ve watched it, so I went ahead.  It was really good.  All the actresses were on point.  Queen Latifah, Phylicia Rashad, Condola Rashad, Jill Scott and Alfre Woodard played their parts to perfection.  Now I have to go back and watch the original to see how closely they followed.  From what I remember, it was identical.
TV Shows
I’m watching “Upstairs, Downstairs – Season 2” on Masterpiece Classics.  We are picking up where we left off last year.  We are now being plunged into WW II.  If anyone is watching it, I just want to say that Percy is a B****. She needs to fall off of a cliff.  I also do not like Mr. Amajad, I liked him more last season.
I started watching “World Without End”.  I didn’t know it was even coming on. Actually I didn’t even know it existed until Michelle / True Book Addict, mentioned it.  Hopefully I will like it, it is hard to tell at this point since I only watched about 30 minutes of it. So fingers crossed.
Bummed that they pushed “Whitney” back. It was supposed to come back on October 19th, however that show and “Community” were pushed to an unknown date.  No real explanation given, but I suspect they are waiting for a sweep. Because let’s face it, some of this junk on TV really shouldn’t be there. 
“American Horror Story” is back.  I haven’t watched it yet, but it doesn’t matter.  The show is a hit. I will watch that one tonight with my daughter.
My daughter is making me watch “The Mindy Project”.  I don’t like this show. I don’t like Mindy, she is an annoying, whiney, man-hunting, spinster….sorry.
And the rest of my watch list:
2 Broke Girls, 2 and a Half Men, Revolution, The New Normal, Bones, Guys With Kids, Project Runway, Grimm, New Girl, Glee.

3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Aww man! I forgot to watch Steel Magnolias! I love the orig. and I thought this remake looked really good. I had planned on watching it. Well They will prob. do a re-show, I'll catch it then. Queen Latifah, she's one of my faves!
I have not seen "Amer. Horror Story" wither, I kinda wanted to catch it but I guess I must watch something else when it is on.
LOVE Revolution!!!!! I think it is so well done! I also like guys with kids - hilarious! I like the women actually, I love Tempest (I think thats her name, the one from the Cosby show) and the other wife, the one who hates Sheila. Anyway, that is probably the only sitcom that I really like.
And I totally agree on Glee!!! I am getting bored with it this season! I guess I miss all the old people. It is just not the same!

Wall-to-wall books said...

Wow! a few typos in there, sorry about that!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I'm seriously scared of NaNoWriMo. That's what scares me. LOL! But I'm going to give it the ole college try again.

I love Upstairs Downstairs and yes, Percy is a bitch. It's a great show. World Without End is really good so far, but it's funny how I don't remember the story as much as I do Pillars of the Earth and I read World Without End more recently. American Horror Story's first episode of the second season was deliciously twisted!