Sunday, October 7, 2012

Journals


I haven't been writing in my journals for a while.  I've taken some notes in Journal 5, but no real meanderings.  I decided to pull out some older volumes.  Volume 1 which I started in September 2008.  I've only completed 3 volumes (1, 2 and 4).  Volume 3 is not completed, it is a larger size book and harder to carry around, but I'm working on it again.  There is a volume 6 (not pictured) that is in process as well.

I found it interesting looking through them.  I like to cut out pictures and paste them in.  Sometimes I use them as research or food for thought.

 I was working on a story from the 70s and 80s.  Although I lived through the eras, I wanted to take notes on the fashions.


 This was a collage on something called "The Sylvia Plath Effect".  The Sylvia Plath effect is a term coined by psychologist James C. Kaufman in 2001 to refer to the phenomenon that poets are more susceptible to mental illness than other creative writers.  I suppose this would have been a dark time in my life.

 On the inside covers of some of my journals, I pasted pictures and/or quotes.  On volume 1, i posted a lot of angels and saints.  They make me smile.

 This was some research on Archangels. Gabriel mainly.  Was working on a story (still am) about them.  I zeroed in on Gabriel because she is my favorite angel.

 I did do writing in the journals too.  I also pasted some pictures that had nothing to do with a story, but I thought could lead to inspiration.

 I also am inspired by personal libraries.  And i really loved the pearl choker.  Again, no reason other than that it made me smile, and still does.

More research on fashions from the past.  Now we go back to 50s and 60s.  Can't really recall what I was thinking on writing.  There are notes on the pictures but no notes before or after this page. So it seems to be random.

I look through these books and sometimes I find random blurbs and wonder what the heck was I thinking.

3 comments:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Wonderful! I wish I would have kept up with my journaling. I really need to start and keep doing it. My mom does and she has all her old journals. She sometimes goes back and reads them. So, any tips on being more dedicated to writing in journals?

Wall-to-wall books said...

My daughter is a big journaler, I don't think she puts pictures in hers. I will have to show her this.
Its cool!

Unknown said...

@Michelle. It is hard to keep up with it, especially when you are busy. I would say carry it with you and during down time write in it. I notice when I do that, I tend to write more.

@Wendy. I was not sure about the pictures when I started, but I use them for research mostly. Or sometimes just inspiration. It is nice to look back thru them and see pretty or cool things. It also re-kindles my memory about a story angle I was working on.