Monday, August 23, 2010

Movies Last Week

Tales From the Script

This documentary talked to many screenwriters about the ups and downs of writing for movies. They shared funny stories and gave insight into the craft.


Pierrpoint: The Last Hangman

Albert Pierrepoint (30 March 1905 – 10 July 1992) is the most famous member of the family which provided three of the United Kingdom's official hangmen in the first half of the 20th century. Pierrepoint was played by Timothy Spall, and a very good job indeed. A dark movie however. One wonders how anyone can have such a job and be 'normal'.


Scott Pilgram vs. The World

YES! Finally a movie that is entertaining AND different. Michael Cera stars in this one, and I often like the movies he is in. This one is one of my favorites. I highly recommend it to children of all ages. Scott is a 22 year old 'nerd' who has a circle of interesting friends and runs into some interesting characters as he tries to date his dreamgirl. He will have to fight her seven ex's in order to date her.


Jesus' Son

This movie was so strange and boring, I dear say, I can't really tell you what it was about. A young man who loses his way, finds it in the end. I guess that is a good way to sum it up. But don't wast your time.


Ruby Gentry

Starring Jennifer Jones and Charlton Heston. In this movie from 1951, Ruby finds herself in love with a man whom she can't have. Their class differences keep them apart. I am not a Charlton Heston fan, but I love Jennifer Jones. However, the movie didn't do it for me.


Vampires Suck

Knowledge of the Twilight movies is very helpful here. There were funny moments in this movie, I love spoofs and satires.


Lord of the Flies (1990)

This is a newer version. No, I never read the book, but I know of the story. This was well done, and it stars a very young Balthazar Getty.


Lark Rise to Candelford: Season 2

This is a wonderful series from the BBC. It is based on the memoirs of Flora Thompson. This is a semi-autobiographical story about Laura Timms, a young woman from Lark Rise who find employment with her Cousin Dorcas Lane in the post office of Candleford (a neighboring town). We watch Laura grow up into a beautiful young woman and we see the heartbreaks of her as well as those around her. This is one series I highly recommend. Season 3 is not out in the States yet, I eagerly await it.


Revolution #9

A 27 year old engaged man suffers from Paranoia. We slowly watch is descent into madness as his fiancee watches. Does he find his way out? Does she find peace? Good quesions. I don't have the answer, because the ending was very unsatisfying. The movie was fine up until the last 30 seconds!

No comments: