Monday, August 16, 2010

Feed Flicks / Last weeks movies (my thoughts)

If you have a Netflix account and have not discovered Feed Flicks yet, you should check it out. It is a neat little site that gives you statistical feedback on your Netflix rental habits. I'm always amazed about what I find.

Vital Statistics

852 DVDs returned since March 2004
You have rated 420 titles
Most recent return: 14/Aug/10 (1 day ago)
Average time you keep DVDs at home: 9 days
Movies/month: 11.0 by DVD 42.0 by Instant Watch



The Langoliers (1995)This movie is based on a novella from the collection, "Four Past Midnight" by Stephen King. It has been around for 15 years and I finally watched it. It starred a few known Hollywood actors as well as some actors we've only seen on a TV show or two, however, I found it pretty entertaining. I had not watched it for two reasons. 1) My mother said it sucked 2) it was so long. However, through the magic of the DVR, I was able to watch it in 2 sittings. It is now a dated movie, but it was still pretty good. Mom isn't always right.


Helen (2009)This movie sars Ashley Judd, who I like. It is about a Mother/Wife who goes through a severe bout of depression, one that is reoccuring. I was hoping for something insightful and touching, but I didn't get this. It was boring and I questioned 'what was the purpose of this movie'? I was depressed after watching it.


The Expendables (2010)Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis on the screen for 5 min together is worth the $10 bucks. That will be something that will never happen again. Not to mention the other great action guys in this film such as Rourke, Crews, Li and Statham. Lots of guns, lots of car chases...typical guy flick that girls will love.


The Hamilton Woman (1941)
Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh (who were married when this was made) star in this film. I'm not usually a fan of period pieces that were filmed in the 40s, but this one wasn't bad. Definetly a UK production, that is easy to see the minute the opening credits start, so that was another grumble moment of mine (what I hate more than period pieces filmed in the 40s are period pieces filmed in the 40s in ENGLAND). HOWEVER, it ended up to be a really good movie. Not a new formula for a story. Girl marries older man whom she doesn't love. Girl falls in love with younger married man. Girl and Boy try to be together. Obsticles get in the way...will they find happiness? The way the movie ended surprised me, but also made me smile. I said YES!

Dragonfly (2002)I must have been under a rock, because I don't remember this movie being in the theater, however, my mother said she saw it in the theater. It stars Kevin Costner. Immediately, I was drawn to the movie, in the first 10 minutes I was engrossed. I don't think it is necessary, but having some faith based religion is helpful in enjoying this picture.

Heat (1995)Another one of those movies that I always wanted to watch, but it was just too darn long. What is it with the year 1995? Why is every movie super long? Perhaps I have more patience to sit through these now, I sat through this one in one sitting. Who doesn't like to see Paccino and DeNiro on the screen together. How can that be a bad movie? My son even looked up from his laptop every now and again it was very entertaining.

1 comment:

Wall-to-wall books said...

I LOVED - "The Langoliers" I have seen it many times!

"Dragonfly" - well what can i say, I love Kevin Costner, he happens to my alltime favorite Actor!!!! I love anything with him in it. My goal is to own all of his movies. I am only about a 10th of the way there.