Tuesday, January 13, 2015

To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

#1


I listened to the audiobook narrated by Juliet Stevenson.  I also had the text, but I mostly listened.  I'm glad I did, Stevenson gave the words such a sense of poetry. Otherwise, I would have been terribly bored.  Not a fan of the story, but I did love the language.

There are three parts to this novel.  

The Window which deals with Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay and their 8 children as they spend time in their summer home in Scotland.  We are given a glimpse into their relationship and how very different these two people are, but never the less, love each other in their own way.

Time Passes is the shortest section.  These chapters encompasses a 10 year period where many things unpleasant happen.  I found this section o be the most interesting.

The final part is To the Lighthouse.  This deals with closure.

This wouldn't have been a book I would have picked up on my own. I honestly didn't know about it.  This is the good thing about having to read these books, I will read books that may open up a whole new world for me.  Would I'd rather read King or J.R.R. Martin? Yes of course, but I can take a year and open up my world.  I won't like everything I read, but at least I can say, "Hey I read that" and actually be able to discuss it.

Favorite phrase in book:  ...the floor of her mind

No comments: