Thursday, December 3, 2009

I'll Be Home For Christmas Movies

Most of these are family movies. So gather the kids around (fur children count).


The Homecoming: A Christmas Story (The Waltons) - (1971) Color - Starring Patricia Neil, Richard Thomas
100 min.
(From IMDB) The Walton family is about to celebrate another Christmas. It's during the '30s and the Depression. John Walton promised to be home soon but seems to be late. John-Boy tells his sibs about Christmas and all that stuff. When John hasn't showed for hours, Ma sends John-Boy out to find him. Will John ever get home to celebrate Christmas with his family?

I wasn't a huge Waltons fan, but I loved this.


The House Without a Christmas Tree - (1972) Color - Starring Jason Robards
75 min.
(from IMDB) A young girl named Addie, living in Nebraska in 1946 wants nothing more for the holidays than a Christmas tree, but her widowed father (Jason Robards), is bitter and refuses due to events from the family's past.

I love this story. I've only been watching it for two Christmas seasons, but I will probably make it a staple. Not hard to find anymore, used to be a bear to find, now it is everywhere on DVD.


The Christmas Cottage (2008) Color - Starring Peter O'Toole
103 min.
(from Netflix) When his mother is in danger of losing her home, young Thomas Kinkade learns some lessons about love and friendship as kindhearted artist Glen Wessler leads the community to help save the house. Meanwhile, the future ""Painter of Light"" begins to find his own style as an artist. Based on true events that led to Kinkade's popular success.

Not really a Christmas movie, but Kinkade fans may find this an interesting movie.


Home Alone (1990) Color - Starring Macaulay Cullkin, Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern
102 min.
(from Netflix) Play Preview Families suck. That's the opinion of 8-year-old Kevin McCallister, whose family unwittingly leaves him behind when they go on vacation. In no time, Kevin makes the most of the situation, watching forbidden flicks and pigging out on junk food. But when a pair of bungling burglars set their sights on Kevin's house, the plucky kid stands ready to defend his territory -- by planting booby traps galore!

I really shouldln't have to sell anyone on this one. One of those 'STAPLES'.


Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) Color - Starring - Macaullay Culkin, Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern, Tim Curry, Rob Schneider.
120 min.
(from Netflix) Kevin McCallister in this wintry flick, winner of a People's Choice Comedy Award. Instead of flying to Florida with his folks, Kevin ends up alone in New York, where he gets a hotel room with his dad's credit card -- despite problems from a clerk and meddling bellboy. But when Kevin runs into his old nemeses , he's determined to foil their plans to rob a toy store.

I have nothing but love for Macaullay. That is why after #2 I stopped. You really cannot repeat the success of the first 2 movies. I think it goes up to 4, but as I haven't watched them, don't know if they are Christmas themed or not.


To Grandmother's House we Go (1992) Color - Starring - Mary Kate Olsen, Ashley Olsen
90 min.
Twin sisters try to run off to Grandma's for Christmas, but are stymied along the way when they inadvertently get involved with some bumbling kidnappers. G-rated fun for the whole family.

I've not seen this one yet, but how can you not love two cute little girls and Christmas.


I'll Be Home For Christmas (1998) - Color - Starring - Johnathan Taylor Thomas
90 min.
(from IMDB) A college student experiences difficulty in getting home for Christmas after being hazed by his friends. While struggling to get home in time for Christmas, he learns quite a bit about himself and the true meaning of the holiday.

I want to say that I've seen this, but cannot remember if I did. If I can't remember, I probably didn't or it was just that bad. It comes on TV every year (think Lifetime Channel) so maybe I'll catch it.

1 comment:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Awww, I love "The Walton's"
I have never heard of "The Christmas Cottage" sounds good, I will have to look that one up.