Thursday, August 15, 2013

Catch Up

No I didn’t fall into the abyss, I am still here.  I have just been super busy.  I started school in June, and will be going for the next 2 to 3 years non stop.  I’m on break for August, but start up right after Labor Day.  I had 2 English classes and got A’s.  I am in the adult program, so there are adults 21 and older in the class.  But it my class, they tend to be 30 and older (more like 40 and older) so I was not out of place.  However, it was very sad to see that a lot of these people didn’t write well.  This had me thinking back to when I started college in my 20s.  I had to start with a Remedial English class (remedial math too).  I didn’t know an adverb from an adjective. Mainly because I hated high school, didn’t read and could care less.  However, 20 years of living and reading helped me place into the intermediate level of English in this new school. However, that class doesn’t start until September, so I had to take 2 basic English classes for the summer.  The teacher of one of the classes had to ‘dumb’ it down because his work was too advanced for the majority of the class. 
 
My son moved out, so my daughter and I are switching bedrooms.  I will finally have my Master Bedroom.  And yes…there will be a reading nook. I have one now, but it really is just a chair in the corner with a reading lamp. The room is so tiny.
 
My laptop died, so I lost my lists of books and movies that I had been working on since 2006.  I decided not to start a new one.  But I have them documented elsewhere.
 
These are the more interesting books I’ve read from March until now:
 
Whistling Past the Graveyard – Susan Crandall
The Gods of Gotham – Lyndsay Faye
All Woman and Springtime – Brandon Jones
Heft – Liz Moore
Me Before You – Jojo Moyes
My Beloved World – Sonia Sotomayor
 
I’ve reached my goal of 60 books for the year  I’m not going to increase it because I’m not sure how many more books I’ll be able to read while I’m in school. I estimate maybe 10 more, but I don’t want to risk not finishing.
 
My next book to read will be “The Cukoo’s Calling” by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling). I won it in a goodreads giveaway.  I’ve had it for a few weeks, but I’m currently reading “The Shining” by Stephen King and “The Son” by Philipp Meyer; both which are pretty sizable.  I wanted to read some big books in August while I am on break.  I think after “The Cukoo’s Calling”, I will read smaller books.  Just so I can feel like I’m accomplishing something.
 
 


1 comment:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Hey there! I was just thinking about you the other day. So glad school is going well. I'm hoping to go back in the next year or so myself, God willing.

Sorry about your lists. I'm so glad I have my books listed in a physical catalog. If I had to relist them because my computer died....well, let's just say the scream would be heard around the world. LOL!

Great list of books you're reading/have read. How are you liking The Shining? I really liked it. I'm reading two SK's right now...Under the Dome and The Talisman (with Peter Straub).

Enjoy the rest of your summer. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around the interwebs. =O)