Tuesday, April 16, 2013

All Woman & Springtime by Brandon W. Jones

I’ve read many non-fiction books about North Korea, however, this is the first fiction book I’ve read that dealt with the horrors of North Korea as well as sex trafficking. Although I have some knowledge of what goes on in North Korea, this book gave my ideas breath. The horror embodied in three women gave me pause.

We watch two friends go from families with vastly different circumstances to an orphanage where they become best friends.

The story proceeds to take us on a journey of these two girls as well as others who were sold into the sex slave business. Here it became a little graphic for my taste, although I do understand the necessity to bring to light what occurs in this business. I just felt it was a little over done and a lot could have been said without using such strong imagery.

However, as the story progressed further, it became more interesting as we watch these women grow in friendship, fight for survival and learn how to trust again.

This story’s outcome is bittersweet but satisfying.

I was originally thinking a 3.5 star rating, but the last few chapters moved it up the ½ star. Not the best writing books I’ve read, but one of the most touching books I’ve read in a while.


4 Stars
 

1 comment:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Wow, thanks Liz! Sounds like a good book. I love the cover.