Friday, November 30, 2012

Star Bright by Father Andrew M. Greeley


This is a great little romantic Christmas story that is not typical in one sense but in essence there are only a handful of stories to tell. I enjoyed the ending.

This was my first Andrew Greeley book. Being Catholic I felt obligated to at least read one. I can say the story telling is average, however, someone needs to find this Priest a new editor, proofreader or whatever, because the typos, mis-spellings and tense confusion in this book were appalling.

I borrowed this book from the library, and a previous reader was so kind as to underline every single mistake in the book. I would say there were 10 or more. For instance, the phrase "difficulty family" as opposed to "difficult family”.

That did distract me from the story a bit. I will give another one of his books a try, but if that is something I have to contend with, I will not be reading any more.


Synopsis from Goodreads:
It's beginning to look a lot like an American Christmas: unpleasant relatives, miserable travel, a slobbering dog-and one "harmless American of Irish origins," Jack Flanigan, who is reluctantly falling in love with a young Russian woman studying at Harvard.

She's spending Christmas alone in a foreign country, so he invites the dark-eyed beauty home to Chicago for the holiday. Even though it isn't Christmas in the Russian Orthodox calendar, she accepts!

What happens when she gets to Chicago and caught in the maelstrom of commercialized Yuletide? Enough to say, there's a tree, and a feast, and midnight Mass, and a gaggle of contentious Flanigans of all ages-who have the merriest Christmas ever-and nothing will ever be quite the same for any of them.

Especially for Jack.

1 comment:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Oh the cover on this one is sooo pretty!