Friday, November 11, 2011

Holiday Movies / Books


Thanksgiving will be here in less than two weeks. Time sure does fly. I have not even started my Christmas shopping yet, although I’m not buying many things.  My daughter is getting a laptop (her last one died), my son just clothes and money and I don’t know what I’m getting mom this year.  I buying my friend a book and her kids get gift cards. That’s it, I’m done. I have little money.

I am currently reading “11/22/63” by Stephen King. I downloaded it to my NOOK yesterday for $16.99. I cannot believe the hardcover is $35.  WOW! It is too big to carry around so I didn’t mind spending the $16.99.  I usually don’t buy books over $9.99, however, I knew this one was coming out months ago, so I made sure I allotted money for this.

I’ve been watching my holiday movies.

Mistletoe over Manhattan on the Hallmark Channel.

This was a nice, modern day movie.  Of course it wouldn’t be complete without Santa, Mrs. Claus and an elf.  Nice family friendly film.  Mrs. Claus intervenes to bring two people on the brink of divorce back together. Can she help them recapture the Christmas Spirit?


Love’s Christmas Journey on the Hallmark Channel.

Jeanette Oke’s Christmas story.  I am not sure if this is part of her “Love’s Series” or  not. I don’t recognize the characters, however, it is still a great family film.  2 parts, 4 hours, so make sure, if you do watch it, you see both parts. 

Recently widowed Ellie visits her brother Aaron and his two children during the Christmas holidays.

Of course there is way more to it than this, but you’ll have to watch.


By The Light of the Silvery Moon (1953)

Starring Doris Day and Gordon MacRae, based on stories by Booth Tarkington.

Let me just preface by saying this is a musical and it is not a Thanksgiving or Christmas movie per se.

Marjorie’s boyfriend William returns from the Army after WWI.  They have an on-again, off-again romance. There are other family crisis going on, but it is mostly caused by Marjorie’s younger brother’s wild imagination.

Very light hearted and fun ‘Winter’ movie.  There is a Thanksgiving scene, which is funny. This movie takes place during the Winter months. 

One thing that did confuse me about this movie is the synopsis reads he is returning from WWI, however, when you watch it, the clothes seem to suggest a later period (1930s or early 1940s).

However, there is a horse drawn carriage, so I guess it is post WW I.  It is a very  charming ‘Currier and Ives’ scene that leads to another ‘Currier and Ives’ scene on an ice skating pond.

So if you are in to Classic movies (in Technicolor) and not in the mood for a full blown Christmas movie, this one would be a good choice. But you have to like music, because they break out in song.



I finished my 1st Holiday Book.

Lost December by Richard Paul Evans

A modern retelling of the Prodigal Son.  Luke Crisp is heir to a multi-million dollar Copy Center franchise.  His father wants his son to take over the company when he retires. Luke has other plans.  His father reluctantly gives Luke his Trust Fund, and what does Luke do with it?  Well if you know the story of the Prodigal Son, then you will know. 

Luke soon learns who his friends are and that good people come in all shape, sizes and colors.

Good people are usually taken advantage of, but good people are the ones who help out the most. Luke is ‘Good People’.

Richard Paul Evans writes a Christmas Story every year.  It doesn’t revolve around Christmas.  It usually starts around one Christmas and ends around another Christmas. It could be the following year or 10 years later, one never knows.

This is a fantastic addition to his Christmas Collection.  It is a quick read, like most Christmas stories, but packs a huge message.

I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. Of course, I usually give his books that.

I will probably not read my next Christmas book until December. I am reading Stephen King’s book as I mentioned and oddly enough I have another time travel book in the library.



A Year Without Autumn by Liz Kessler.

This is a children’s book, but I loved the synopsis, so I wanted to read it.
Jenni Green’s family vacation has finally arrived! Even though she has to deal with her annoying little brother, her slightly overbearing dad, and her very pregnant mom, she gets to spend a week with her bestest friend in the world, Autumn. But twelve-year-old Jenni’s world turns upside down when she takes an old elevator to visit Autumn and discovers that everything has changed: not only is her friend in a different condo, but tragedy has struck Autumn’s family, Jenni’s mother has had her baby, and everyone is a year older. When Jenni realizes that the elevator caused her to skip a whole year, she tries to go back, but soon finds that fixing things won’t be as easy as pressing a button. How can she alter the past and keep her family and Autumn’s from falling apart?


And if anyone is questioning why I’m reading a book for children 9 – 12, I will just say…Because I can!




No comments: