Saturday, June 4, 2011

Books and May Movies

I've not had time to post.  My temp job is keeping me busy, but I'm not complaining.


I've been reading more now that I'm traveling.


I've finally read this book. For years I've been looking at it. It isn't a very long book but for some reason it didn't appeal to me. I was highly disgusted by the treatment of David as a child. And I suppose I need to read the rest of his books to find out what was up with his mother. I am thinking she had mental issues, but he never confirmed that, just that she was a drunk.


I haven't read many books about child abuse, but out of those I've read, this was by far, the most graphic.


I am currently reading Pride and Prejudice...FINALLY.  I've seen all the movie adaptations and love the story.  I've never read anything by Jane Austen, I don't know why. I've read the Bronte Sisters, Edith Wharton, George Elliot, but never Jane.


I have no review for it, because the story is so well known.  I do like it and it is surprisingly an easy read.  I'll get to her other books soon. I have Emma and Sense and Sensibility on my Nook, so they will be read soon.


I am listening to this on audio.  18 hours of it.  Very entertaining.  Each character reads a chapter.  We get to hear different voices every few chapters which keeps the book from getting monotonous.  I have it in paperback too, but I really wanted to listen as I heard it was really great. So far I agree.


 
Some Movies I've watched in May worth noting were:


Thor - I've heard mixed reviews. Some liked it, some thought it was lame. I was in the first group. I liked the guy who played Thor (very handsome) and a very good choice. However, I thought the story was 'sweet'. Yes that is the word I would use. It was fun. I didn't see it in 3D, but I can't see why it needed to be in 3D anyway.


A Perfect Getaway - This was out in 2009 I believe. I had it on my DVR since October last year. I couldn't watch it when my daughter was home, because she doesn't like horror/thrillers. And I read that Chris Hemsworth (THOR) was in it. But I didn't realize Timothy Olyphant was also in it, and had a main role. Well, needless to say, I enjoyed it!


That's What I Am - I never heard of this 2011 movie. I watched it on instant watch (Netflix). It is a coming of age movies that took place in the early 60s in some small American town. A 12 year old boy is paired to do a project with an unpopular classmate. Will a friendship develop? And the sub-plot surrounds a popular male teacher who learns a rumor that he is a homosexual is flying around the school. Will this jeopardize his career? (remember 1960s). Oh yeah, and there is a pretty and popular young girl. This was a very good film. I think it was straight to video and starred Ed Harris.



6 comments:

Anne said...

Regarding Pelzer: I read those books several years ago and the first was by far the most compelling.


If you don't mind a bit of a SPOILER - There was some follow up on the mother, but the only thing I really remember is that after David was removed from the house, she turned on the next oldest child.

Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen.

How do you think they are going to manage a 2-hour movie of The Help?

Wall-to-wall books said...

I think I read "A Child Celled It" years ago.
I am so glad you are enjoying "The Help" I bet it would be fun to listen to it with all the different voices! I am not so sure about them making it into a movie. I hope it doesn't lessen it, know what I mean?

Unknown said...

they will have to cut out some stuff, but I hope it doesn't take away from the story. I hope to be done listening to it by august. I try to listen as much as possible.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I finished reading Pride & Prejudice last month. Loved it, of course!

I really liked The Perfect Getaway. Thought it was very clever and I LOVE Timothy Olyphant!

Arlee Bird said...

When I read Pride and Prejudice I had to force myself through the first 100 pages or so--it was tedious for me. Then once I got into the rhythm and style of the writing I really enjoyed it. My wife and I watched every film version.

My favorite was the 1940 version with Olivier as Darcy. As I was reading the book I thought some parts seemed kind of humorous, but after seeing the 1940 film version I realized how funny the book actually is. The TV versions were excellent, but I think they didn't capture the humor well enough. I think a lot was lost in the most recent film version and it was my least favorite.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Wall-to-wall books said...

Hey girl! Don't know where you disappeared to, but I gave you an award. So stop by my blog and pick it up!