Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2010 Necrology - Shocking Deaths


Joshua Andrew Koenig
Born: Aug. 17, 1968, Los Angeles, CA
Died: c. Feb. 25, 2010, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Actor, film director, editor and writer. Known for his portrayal in the 1980s sitcom Growing Pains, as Mike Seaver's best friend Richard 'Boner' Stabone. He was also a video producer for the podcast Never Not Funny. His father is actor Walter Koenig known for his role as 'Pavel Chekov' in the original Star Trek television series. Andrew took his own life in a State Park located in Vancouver, Canada.

This death hit me hard. Andrew was a funny young man and seemed to have it all. His suicide was a shock. I have nothing but sadness in my heart for his family. I was very depressed for weeks after his death, but slowly I came to terms with it.



Mary Christine Brockert
Born: Mar. 5, 1956 Los Angeles, CA
Died: Dec. 26, 2010 California

Best known as Teena Marie or Lady T(ee).

Teena Marie was notable as a performer of R & B and funk through her work on rhythm guitar, keyboards and vocals, as well as working as a songwriter and producer. Formerly a protege of Rick James. Marie continued to produce recordings and tour, and had been doing so until shortly before her passing.

I have been a fan of Teena Marie since 1980. I fell in love with her song "Behind the Groove". I recall hearing it on the radio and dancing to it. The first time I saw the cover of her album I almost fell over. I did not know she was white. She had such a soulful voice.

I learned of her passing while on Facebook. Word was going around, but I refused to believe it until an established news site stated it. Once it broke on Huffington Post, I knew it was true. She was and will always be one of my favorite singers.

No comments: