Monday, July 19, 2010

Music in Books

Lately I've been reading and purchasing a lot of books about music. I've really got heavily into the blues. I never had been a fan, but I learned to appreciate this form of music with the help of the genres of blues/rock and British blues. British Blues and British Blues like music I've been listening to since I was a kid, in the form of Eric Clapton and his peers. I am also a huge Led Zeppelin fan, so after years of not reading anything about them, I've decided to read some newer stuff.

The First Time We Met the Blues: A Journey of Discovery with Jimmy Page, Brian Jones, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards by David Williams

This book is not easy to find, and when you do find it, it can be pricey. I really don't know why, but I didn't pay too much for it, around $15USD.

What attracted me to this book was Jimmy Page's name. I love Jimmy Page, have loved him for 39 years. David Williams was a childhood friend of Jimmy Page and as a teenager hung out with Mick, Brian and Keith.

The first part of the book was a memoir of sorts about what him and Jimmy did as mates back in their childhood. How they learned to appreciate American blues together. It was charming to hear about Jimmy Page's childhood in England. We only see him as a big rock god, but he started out just like the rest of us. The second part Williams speaks about his time hanging around Brian, Mick and Keith and how he discovered the blues with them as well. Eric Clapton was mentioned in this book as well. The final part of the book talks about how they all went to American Blues concerts when they came thru their town. It was all very interesting, and it is interesting to see how the British Blues scene begain with these 4 white boys.


Blues for Dummies by Cub Koda and Wayne Baker Brooks

I've always found Dummies books very informative, this one was no different, and it even came with a CD filled with different types of Blues tracks. This book takes us through the different genres of Blues, from Dixiland blues to Chicago Blues to Electric Blues and to my favorite British Blues.

I have only read 1/2 this book, but I have already learned a great deal. Gives you a deeper insight into a musical genre that few understand, but benefit from everyday.



Deep Blues by Robert Palmer


Yet another book I haven't read. But to be fair, I did just get most of these within the past few months. Late musician Robert Palmer wrote this book. It goes deep into the blues genre. I think this book will be ann education to say the least.





Led Zeppelin: The Story of a Band and Their Music - 1968-1980 by Keith Shadwick

This is a big book. It is about 320 pages but each page has 2 columns, so it is packed with a lot of information, 12 years worth. I have no finished this one either, this is something you need to take a break from.

Lots of detailed information about the band and how their music came to be what it was. Not too much in the way of personal stuff, also sort of dry, but a real Zep fan will not mind. Anyone who wants to read about the band and their antics will do better to read Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis.



Symbology and Led Zeppelin
published by Studio 16

Real hard core fans will love this book. It can be found at This Site.

It might take a while to come if you do order it, because it comes from New Zealand. But well worth the wait.

I've not read this one yet, but it is filled with the symbology that is associated with Led Zeppelin. I became interested in all of the symbology after I dove deep into Jimmy Page's symbol Zoso. Which I had tattooed on my back.

Filled with a lot of mysticism and interesting tidbits (from what I can see).


Stevie Ray Vaughan: Caught in the Crossfire by Joe Nick Patoski and Bill Crawford

I just got this one the other day, so it hasn't been read. But I've been so curious about SRVs life. I read bits and pieces here and there, so I decided to read a biography about the man. Hope it is worth my time.

No comments: