Friday, August 1, 2014

Ulysses by James Joyce


I understand what Joyce was attempting here. I got all the refrences to the Odyssey and Hamlet and all that. I just didn't care for it. Didn't enjoy the stream of consciousness, didn't enjoy the artistic approach at all. I believe I'm the type of person who likes books that are less experimental. 


To be honest, if my professor wasn't so adept at teaching I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of it. If I read this on my own, it would have been abandoned. I'm glad I read other things, because this is the type of book that would turn me off of reading for good.

I know there are those who rave about this and its unique quality. It just wasn't for me. For anyone who hasn't read Joyce and wants to, go for Dubliners or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man , and leave this one alone.

My professor is going to kill me if he reads this, but it is nothing on him. I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it and make my own decision

I utilized 3 formats in order to get through this book.  Paperback, ebook and audiobook.
★ out of ★★★★★







No comments: