Thursday, December 13, 2012

3 More Christmas books

Christmas After All by Kathryn Lasky is a book from the "Dear America" series of children's books. Minnie Swift is a pre-teen girl living in Depression Era America. Her family is not as bad off as a lot of people in America but they still see the times growing lean. They take in Minnie's cousin Willie Fay who was orphaned. Christmas is fast approaching and Minnie is not sure if this will be a Merry Christmas or not. I've never read a "Dear America" book before, honestly I never heard of it. I thought it was pretty good. I wish these were out when I was a kid. 4/5 stars.


The Christmas Singing by Cindy Woodsmall is the story of a young Amish woman named Mattie who loves to bake and owns her own shop.  She is dating one man but still has feelings for Gideon, the one who broke her heart.  Gideon is hiding a secret from her.  Will he ever be able to tell her and win her love again?

 I usually like Cindy Woodsmall books, but I thought this one was just OK.  It was slow, It was predictable.  Mattie's character got on my nerves.  What a whiny, bubble-head.  3/5 stars.

A Wreath of Snow by Liz Curtis Higgs was FANTASTIC. I loved this book.  Meg is a young woman who is in a train accident during a snowstorm.  She is unhurt but needs to get home.  Gordon Shaw, another passenger, offers to see her to safety.  Yeah, I know it sounds like a love story. But Oh My, this was some trip!  Not predictable at all. Loved every minute of this book. And to top it off, it was Christian.  4.5/5 stars.

2 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Woot woot! Good going girl!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Hope you're enjoying the Christmas reading. I haven't had time to get hardly any done. =O(