Friday, January 21, 2011

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane


The Given Day
By Dennis Lehane

Synopsis
The Given Day tells the story of two families--one black, one white--swept up in a maelstrom of revolutionaries and anarchists, immigrants and ward bosses, Brahmins and ordinary citizens, all engaged in a battle for survival and power.


This was a long book, but it had a lot of action. There was not much of a lull anywhere. It went from family to family and event to event. Riots, strikes, disasters, deaths, killings…you name it, this book had it.

Set in 1919 Boston, it mixes fact with fiction. This is a great historical novel that will bring you right into the heart of the story. There are happy endings and bitter sweet ones that will stick in your memory for a long time. I learned a lot about this era that I hadn’t known.

The only other story I am familiar with by Dennis Lehane is “Shutter Island” which I saw in the movies. I loved that movie, and probably would have loved the book. He has several novels out and I would like to read another. However, I will go on to read other stuff now, but will keep him in mind for the future.

This book: 4 out of 5 stars.

Who would I recommend this book to:
1. Anyone who likes historical fiction especially from the 1918 – 1919.
2. Anyone who likes a sweeping saga with a lot of rich characters and a great story line.
3. Anyone from Boston, USA

3 comments:

TheBookGirl said...

I love big fat sagas, and historical fiction is a genre that I read often, so this sounds like a must for me, thanks!

Wall-to-wall books said...

This book sounds really good!
Great review.

Nessa said...

Sounds like a good book to add to the reading list.